Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Tin Can…



…save your day. Or rather a few tins of canned food - or cans of tinned food. Whatever you wish to call them. I choose to call them tins today.

I was planning to make pancakes for the kids for their after-school snack, but I was busy doing this and that as it is my older daughter’s 17th birthday tomorrow (so it is kind of a secret what I did all morning). 

Just before collecting my younger son from school I looked into the kitchen cupboards, found a few tins and ended up making Tuna and Sweetcorn Sandwiches. - Basic ingredients which we always have in the house: tuna, sweetcorn, mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce and toast. 

One of my favourite kitchen gadgets is this electronic tin opener:



It is handy, safe and fast. I don’t find it noisy but for some reason when I use it a cat always appears in the kitchen, usually not fully awake, probably sleepwalking from upstairs, coming to see what is in the tin I am opening. Today I tried to fool her and let her smell the sweetcorn but she was very persistent so I did give her some tuna before I started making the sandwiches.


Tuna and Sweetcorn Sandwiches
(enough to feed four hungry children)

Pack of sliced bread (I had 16 slices of toast)

Filling:
2 tins of tuna (net weight à 185g - minus about 1/4 of a tin I gave to the cat)
1 tin of sweetcorn (80g)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp mustard
2,5 dl / 1 cup mayonnaise
Lettuce

1. Toast the bread slices.
2. Mix the tuna, sweetcorn, lemon juice, mustard and mayonnaise. Add more mayonnaise if the mixture is too dry.

3. Take two slices of toasted bread at a time, put about two tablespoons of the tuna-sweetcorn mixture and some lettuce if you so wish and press the slices together. I usually pile up the sandwiches and let them rest a few moments (putting something heavy - but not too heavy -  on top helps, too) so the filling will not burst out so easily when cutting the sandwiches.
4. Cut the crusts off first for the sandwiches to look prettier, then cut each sandwich into four triangles, pile them up and put a cocktail stick through each pile of four triangles to hold them together. Decorate with cherry tomatoes, olives, pieces of cucumber or pickles.



1 comment: